Our patron saint: Mr. Hankey - The Christmas Poo

Our patron saint: Mr. Hankey  - The Christmas Poo
sometimes he's nutty... sometimes he's corny

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Well caffeinated in Zurich

Greetings from Zurich. Just had 2 (amazing) cappucinos and feeling a little hyper (woo!). Another country and another keyboard to get used to. Excuse the lack of accents. At least I'm getting used to the fact that 'y' and 'z' are swapped (Although that'll probably screw me up once I'm back in Canada)

Took the overnight train last night from Berlin to here. Compartments were a little cramped - 6 bunks, 2 sets of 3 with about feet of head room. Luckilly I didn't smash my head which I though I'd do. Bunks were rock solid and the pillow was pitifully small... but somehow (with the help of some earplugs) I managed to get an alright nights sleep.

Got to the hostel and like I suspected, the reservation never went through. I was suspicious that I never received an e-mail confirmation, and thought of calling/e-mail-ing, but never did. Even though they were fully booked, they managed to find a space for me in a 5-bed dorm for all 4 nights. It that had failed, the hostel manager had some space at his apartment. Did I mention that Anita's brother and sister-in-law manage the big hostel here in Zurich? Helps to know people in high places! Waiting to get my room so I can take a well need shower and will then wait a few hours for Dave, Anita and Dalia to arrive and I think we're meeting Berny and Ariane.

My last day in Berlin was cold and rainy (I guess you can't expect summer conditions all the time in late september) but it was somewhat productive. I once again screwed up my timing and missed the New Berlin tour which was at 1PM at Brandenburg gate. Reason being is that I went to the holocaust memorial at 11AM not knowing how long it would take. Waited 30 minutes in rain to get in due to very high security... stricter than an airport. Bags through a conveyer, metal detector and full body sweep. Supposedely the jewish museum has similar security practice... and I can understand exactly why. The presentation underneath the holocaust memorial was very well done and I highly recommend it, but give yourself at least 2 hours to go through it. Even though it's only 4 rooms, there's alot to read and soak in. The holocaust never fails to boggle my mind... how so much hate and bigotry could occur. There's an on-going effort to chronicle the victims of the holocaust, in the jewish tradition of remembering the dead: http://www.yadvashem.org/. There are quite a few Leitman's in the list, and I haven't the foggiest if I'm related. Hard to tell because we have an assumption that my last name was changed when my great-(great?)-grandfather emigrated to Canada. I gotta talk to my family about that...

Blink and you miss Hitler's bunker. There isn't anything to tell you where it is, but I think I found it. Nor should there be anything marking it (although I kind of expected some sort of marker, or information display)

Was going to go up to the glass dome of the Reichstagg (parliament) but didn't want want to wait an hour. So I wandered arond East Berlin fo a bit, marvelled in the Communist style apartment block, found an amaying park and hung out reading (rain had stopped by this point, but it was still cloudy and cold). Went back to the Hostel, had a couple of Becks (2 for 3 euros... not bad), watched Canada vs. Japan in the Rugby world cup (what a messed up sport) and met a guy from Hamilton.

Went to a Thai/Vietnames place around the corner called Mister Vuong, and had the most amaying Chicken Satay. The chicken was breaded schnitzel style, covered in satay sauce, on a bed of ride and red peppers. Amaaaaaazing.

Waited too long and rushed to the main train station, almost missing my train (old habits die hard) and that brings me up to date.

Final impression of the hostel of the hostel in Berlin (St-Christopher's Inn) was that it was nice and clean, but not overly social for those traveling alone. Oh yeah, there was a guy there that was a dead ringer for Hugo on Lost... again, didn't mention anything as, again, not much of a compliment.

So far, my impression of Zurich: Very nice, but sooooo expensive. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is right now, but by my estimate, a grande coffee at Starbucks was about 3 dollars canadian. I think this country is gonna break the bank a bit... but oh well, ya only live once.

I have some great pictures, but once again, no USB-in... so hopefully next time.

Til next time. Auf Wiedersehen.

No comments: